STRENGTH

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Today was fairly routine and normal. Nothing too exciting to talk about.

However, I had an encounter with one of my threes today that made me think. We have this "scientist" kit in my classroom that contains goggles, beakers, and test tubes. They are all made from thick plastic and they're big. My kids absolutely love them - they put our small counting dinosaurs down in them and make 'soup' and 'asperiments' (experiments). The test tubes have these plastic screw top lids on them and most of my class hasn't mastered that skill, so one will get them screwed on and when the next friend goes to play with it, it's 'stuck'. One of my tough boys wanted to get the dinosaurs out of the test tube and he couldn't get the lid off so he came to me and asked for help. I barely twisted it and it came off. 'J' was so happy and so grateful!

I began to think about God's strength. Immediately the verse from II Corinthians 12:9 came to mind: "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." When Paul wrote this verse he was describing a time when he prayed to God and God answered him. This verse was the answer Paul received from God. The best time for God to manifest himself in our lives is when we are at our weakest and can't do things on our own. It is in these times that God's strength and grace are brought out. God is always available for us when we need Him. I Chronicles 16:11 says "Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually." We should know by now that we can do nothing or take glory for anything because it's only through God that we make it from day to day. I love reading the Psalms that David wrote because you find him crying out to God so many times to help him through his situations. David knew that his strength was only found in the Lord. 

Just like my tough boy 'J', he knew he couldn't get that lid off without the help of someone stronger. He is stubborn, so of course he tried for a few minutes before asking for help - as humans, we do this. [I do anyway.] If I can fix it on my own, I will. Unfortunately this carries over into my spiritual life. Many times I'll struggle trying to get through something without calling on God or my prayer warriors. I'm not sure why it's so hard for me to let God have control of certain areas in my life. I'm working on it though. 

I came across a verse in Deuteronomy 20:4 that stuck with me: "For the LORD your God [is] he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you."

Let God be your source of strength as you go throughout your days. Don't be afraid to ask him for help. He's here to be our guide, our strength, our everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment